...One year ago today, my most fun & crazy loving Dad passed away in his sleep at my sister's house in Arizona.
I still run this day through my head countless times & have a hard time believing it is true. I continue to keep his funeral program above my phone, so I can see it everyday & know that it is real.
He & my mom were in Arizona helping my sister after a surgery she had to have right before Thanksgiving. My parents were going to be coming home the day after Thanksgiving to be back for the Temple Lighting Ceremony. My dad was the Director over the lights & had put in so much time to this calling.
I remember being at WalMart at 5am for the "Black Friday" sales. I was all ready for Christmas but was getting my parents a digital photo frame & new camera. I was in the checkout line with the other 4 thousand people, when I decided to call Jill last minute to see if this is what I should get them. She answered her phone & didn't sound very good, but I continued to ramble on... until she interrupted me & told me my dad didn't wake up. I was totally confused & kept asking her what she was talking about. Jill was shocked when I had called her, because all of the events had just taken place about 15 minutes before I called. They had just gotten off the phone with the police & were waiting for help. She hadn't contacted any family members yet, so when she saw me on the caller ID- she freaked out wondering why I called, & she didn't want to answer. She didn't know how to tell anyone what had happened, let alone Me (the baby).
She said he was "gone", & I yelled out "what do you mean? -dead?" - Then in hysterics, as the Checker is ringing up my items I just started freaking out & yelling "My Dad is Dead?" I felt as if I was in a tunnel, but so many people around me started coming up & asking what they could do, who they could call, if I needed a ride.........so many kind people.
She said he was "gone", & I yelled out "what do you mean? -dead?" - Then in hysterics, as the Checker is ringing up my items I just started freaking out & yelling "My Dad is Dead?" I felt as if I was in a tunnel, but so many people around me started coming up & asking what they could do, who they could call, if I needed a ride.........so many kind people.
I handed the checker my purse & he didn't know what to do- Jill told me to get out of the store & sit in my car, she would call someone to come & get me. I finally got to my car & sat there in shock for about 10 minutes & then called a few of my siblings - Jason was asleep at home with the kids so didn't hear his phone. I felt so numb, & yet I kept thinking is this a joke? Some sick sick joke- it can't be real, I just saw my dad & he was fine. My brother & his wife were on there way to get me & I just left- I had to drive......
The next week was a blur for me -- for a long time. I didn't sleep, eat- I don't know how I functioned, it must have been adrenaline until after the funeral. I can't put down details- this was hard enough to get out. I was so sad for my mom & Gpa Virge.
My dad was the most unconditional fun loving, tough & rough around the edges, great example to everyone who knew him.
I miss his: Nuugies (rough head rubs), love bites, his smile, his yelling/cheering as he watched BYU (we've continued that for him) & the Yankees, our family vacations to the beach, his gruff voice- that I got, watching movies (The Pink Panther) & listening to him laugh, his famous "Judas Priest" & Navajo sayings, His singing to Johnny Cash, John Denver, Neil Diamond & many more (classic singing), his dedication to the Church & example he set for me, & soooo many other qualities.........
I was lucky & blessed enough to have him in my life for 30 years. He was there for every dance recital, gymnastics event, sports events, my wedding, family gathering of mine, & there for the birth of each of my 3 boys. I know he had a part in getting my little girl to me & even though I won't see him when she is born, I know she will be coming straight from his arms! I was his baby & now he is helping send my baby to me - This is what I am so looking forward to.
*My last Christmas with my Padre 2006
*one of my fav pictures of my Mom & Dad by the old cabin
*Favorite picture of Treygen & Dad in Annabella 2007
*Looove this of Tekai with his Gpa- Kai had on a "Johnny Cash" onesie - we got for Dad's sake :)
*Wheelbarrow ridin' in Annabella - Creed loved to help Gpa with his garden.










14 comments:
What a sweet post, Jodi. I cant imagine...
Great to see your dads face again. I always admired him and your family. Thanks for sharing.
Oh Jodi...I was thinking about you all day yesterday. I hope you had a good day with your family and your sweet Mom. You are such a good example to me. I know your Dad is proud of you for being the kindest person and the best Mom. We will have to pop some popcorn, get the sherbet and watch the Pink Panther movies. My Dad also used to have me watch them with me too! I love you tons! Thanks for being such a great friend.
Your post pulled at my heartstrings. I had the GREAT opportunity to meet your dad once while we were in high school. We ran to your house during the day for something and ended up talking with him for a while. That is the great thing about families being together forever . . . you will see him again one day. Hang in there. :)
What a sweet, sweet post Jodi! You have so many fond memories and that's a wonderful blessing in and of itself! {{Hugs}}
Thanks Jodi for the tears. A really nice post. You and your dad had an awesome relationship. I miss him tons and tons. Many loves, hugs, and kisses to you!
jodi, i'm sitting here with chills up and down. that is awesome you can talk about him and all the memories. i'm so sorry for what you've been through! you are so strong and it's great we have the knowledge and hope that we do, huh? sweet sweet post!
Thanks for the post. You reminded me of more things I miss about him. See you in a couple of days
What a great post Chucks. I loved your dad too and I miss him. He was always so good to me and made me laugh constantly. He will always have a place in my heart, he was one of my favorite people in the world. I will never forget him or hiking the Narrows with him (favorite Uncle Dick memory:)). I love you Jod and I am so proud of you.
Way cute memorial! What a cute daddy you had!
Jody this was soo touching. I love you to death and am sooo amazed at your strength and the growth you have had this last year. You are a wonderfull person Jod's I love ya!
What a great tribute to your dad. He was a great man and he was blessed to have a wonderful family. I have always admired him and your mom. Thanks for sharing some of the sweet memories with all of us.
Jodi, tears are streaming down my face right now! I have thought about you all weekend and your sweet Dad! I am still so sad for you and your family and your loss of such a wonderful Dad! He had a light about him and it shines through you now! I see so much of him in you! Anyone who loves you loves a part of your dad too, because you are very much a part of him! He lives on in you!
I Love you so much and wish I could have given you a tight squeeze or two this weekend! Can't wait for this precious little girl to come! Love you, Kelsi
Oh, Jodi. More tears for my dear Uncle Dick are streaming down my face. Thank you for your beautiful post. I agree, your sweet little girl will come straight from his arms, and I have to say, I hope she gets a little of his spunk and a lot of his zest for life. He will live on in the life of her, as he does in the lives of all of his children.
Love you, Jodi. I know this is a hard time, and I am thinking about you.
Hey Jodi!!! It is Shane Urry... I will always have GREAT memories of your dad and what an example he was to me growing up next door to you guys. I often think back and laugh at the good times we had growing up in 36th ward. He was a great man and I will remember the day I found out about his passing! My mother needed some help on the other side with the lords work... :) Keep in touch!!! Shane
Post a Comment