Ya know, I thought that I would hate this time of year for the rest of my life. It was 2 years ago today that I was shook up with the news of my daddy passing away in his sleep. I will always remember the day as Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. It was the most awful day of my life & I don't want another day like that again.
I couldn't get excited for Thanksgiving last year & seemed to be in a weird daze. This year I have been dreading it, until I really got to thinking about being Thankful for all the things I'm truly blessed with & how this is the perfect time of year to reminisce about all the fun times & memories I had with my Padre. I still feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, so my mind isn't clear, but these are some of the things I am thinking of:
*My 3 boys were blessed to get to know my dad, & each have characteristics of him. I am thankful for that.
My sweet baby princess was sent to me straight from my daddy's arms. I am thankful for that.
I can whistle like my dad. I am thankful for that.
My Dad was able to be with me in the Temple when I received my own endowments & also on my wedding day. I am thankful for that.
My dad was the best listener & gave great advice; with an un-biased opinion. I am thankful for that.
Jas & my dad loved to talk sports & they got along so well. I am thankful for that.
I might have "num-chuck" calves & a long torso, but they came from my dad & I am proud to be his little girl. I am thankful for that.
I inherited my dad's love for the Yankees, BYU, Peanut Butter, "Nuggies", Neil Diamond, Willy Nelson, John Denver & Johnny Cash music, travelling, & hanging out with Family. I am thankful for that.
His passion for sports & his competitive streak lives on in me, & my kids :) I am thankful for that.
Some awesome quotes that will always stay in my family: "Judas!" "Slower than a blind camel" "Mash his melon" ... oh the list goes on & on- I miss him.
One of the biggest blessings I am thankful for is His Example. He was REAL - & life wasn't sugar coated. He made everyone feel good about themselves & served all he knew, up until his final hours on this earth. I am thankful for that.
*I am also so blessed to have my wonderful mom! I can't even explain how much she does for me & our family. I know it had to have torn my dad up to leave her, but he knew she was such a strong Rock & could help each of us kids through this life. She is an amazing lady, only worried about all around her- not herself. She has such a fun bubbly personality & lives her life in service. I wish I could do more for her, as she has done for us. I hope I can follow her example & be like her someday. I love you Mom & know that Dad is proud of you & is with you all the time. I am thankful for that!
So I hope I can try & remember each year what I have been blessed with, & not what I felt was taken from me. It won't be easy, & I'm sure I will have a few emotional melt-downs- but hey that just means I'm alive. I am thankful for that.
*I would be really thankful too, if blogger would let me download these other photos- I'll keep trying-hah!





7 comments:
Hi Jodi! Thanks for commenting! I do remember who you are probably cause Melanie has talked about you before! Yay! Maybe I do have hope of having a little girl last but we'll see if we even have anymore! And I think its so funny because we really like the name Kaisley for a little girl! We kinda got it from the German male name Kaiser but decided to make it girly and put the ley instead of the er! Anyways your kids are so cute! Thanks!
Oh Jodi...I have been thinking of you! Your strength amazes me. I love you so much and I am so glad that we are friends. I miss our late night chats! Thank you for being such a great example and for being you. Have a happy Thanksgiving!
xoxo
What a great post Jodi!
Nice post Chucks. I am so thankful for you and what an amazing person you are. I too miss your Dad, he was a huge influence on my life. Uncle Dick will always be one of my very favorite people. Have a great Thanksgiving and I hope to see you soon. Love you tons.
Great post Chucks! I know how hard that was, cuz I did it too. Love ya tons!
Jodi
Thanks for your post! It made me think of my dad as well, being we lost them in the similar ways. I am greatful for you and the great friend you have been to me and my family. Have a great Thanksgiving! I wish we lived closer Mya and Cayzli would have so much fun together! Two little petite princesses!
Jodi you gave me chills! What a blessing it is to have a part of your Dad here on earth! You are so much like him and I see so much of him in you! The funny parts especially! There really is no one like you in the world! You are such a great friend and alway so fun to be with! Thanks for all the laughs! I credit your Dad for raising such a beautiful, fun, sparkly,crazy girl ( your Mom too)! I love you and send love to you at this challenging but ever so blessed time of year! Love you, Kelsi
Post a Comment