Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gram Gram's Meds, not Candy!



We had quite the scare yesterday, when mom found Kai guy with an empty bottle of her Thyroid medicine Synthroid! He had eaten 30 pills- yeah I was freaking out! I called poison control & they told me it was life threatening & we needed to get him to a hospital, then she told me to hold on a second because they may want to call an ambulance. The line then got cut off & I was a little panicky, to say the least. I called back & she told me after putting in the figures & dosage amounts that we could just wait it out & not go to the ER. WHAT?! After telling me life threatening, ambulance craziness I was still worried. She told me the symptoms would kick in, in about 12 hours - 3 days & to watch him. The symptoms were: fever, redness, flushed, clammy, diarrhea, vomitting, agitated, racing heart rate, severe headache, hyperactivity, restless..... OH JEEZ, is that all?? I hung up, Jason gave him a blessing & he fell asleep in my arms for an hour. I called my doctor, who is our Bishop of our Little Valley Ward :) & we completely trust. They called me back & were pretty concerned, telling me not to wait & go right to the Emergency Room!
I rushed down to the hospital & carried him in. Right as I told the nurse/front desk person what had happened, they immediately got us to the back! They were also concerned like my Dr. & worried that it had been 2 hours now since he took them. After checking all his vitals & the ER Doc came back - he said he would divise a plan.

I'm thinking "PLAN?, okay what are we going to be doing- pumping his stomach?" Anywho, after about 15 minutes he came back & said he spoke with Dr. Thompson & Poison Control & with his weight & the dosage he took, it wasn't as threatening as they thought. The numbers were 1.6 & they get really nervous if they are 2 or higher.

Soooooo, they told us to take him home & watch him for 2 -3 days & make sure the symptoms don't get out of hand. -Not sure how out of hand that means, but I've been watching him like a Hawk! He has had more energy & has acted a little more silly than usual, but thank heavens he's okay. We are praying he stays that way & we don't have to go through any wild symptoms.
Kai enjoyed playing on my phone in there & then kept saying he was all better & ready to go home. He was very excited about the bracelet he got to take home with his name on it. :) He kept repeating himself while we were in the room there "T-E-K-A-I, dat is my name, Dakai - I get to take dis home & show da kids!" The nurses & Docs were all very sweet & just loved him. Me too :) he was happy about the popsicle they gave him also & pinky promised me to NEVER get into any medicine again!!

Judas, we pray that doesn't happen ever again!!
*** I had to add to this post 3 days later: Kai has had horrible symptoms: severe headache, fever, chills, clammy, vomitting, heartrate racing & just miserable! My poor little guy :( this has been a nightmare, he is having all these reactions like drug addicts who go through withdrawls....
We are praying this passes today (Sunday) it started on Friday. ***

5 comments:

Soper Family said...

So scary! Glad he is ok!

Jenny Wilson said...

So sorry that happened.... I am glad that it panned out to being less life threatening than the original scare! (does that make sense??) Silly boys... they are the death of us!

Lara B said...

I am so glad that Dakai is ok. What a crazy little guy- aren't boys the best? Gotta love em. Give him a hug and tell him no more meds for him, just candy. Love you.

Kathy said...

That's terrible!! I hope he's better today. What a scary experience!! ((hugs))

Unknown said...

First of all, Is Judas a swear word?
Second-I'm so sorry. That is so much stress. KIDS!!!